The Unofficial Katharine Jefferts Schori Fan Page

Shalom! This is a blog that celebrates the first woman Presiding Bishop to serve in the Episcopal Church. Here you will find news stories, photos, links, references, quotes, video and stories from people who have met her. This is not an official site and not affliated with the Episcopal Church or the presiding bishop. This page also has feed from the Church's official news site.



Episcopal News Service

Monday, April 27, 2009

Quotes

"Call me Katharine... my Baptismal name is my highest title."


"My faith journey has been, as a scientist, about discovering the wonder of creation. There's a prayer that we, in the Episcopal Church use after baptism that prays that the newly baptized may receive the gift of joy and wonder in all God's works. The kind of work that I did as a scientist was a piece of that, just a small piece."


"I knew I was supposed to go fishing, and it took me a while to figure out just what for..."


"I believe that God creates us with different gifts. Each one of us comes into this world with a different collection of things that challenge us and things that give us joy and allow us to bless the world around us. And some people come into this world with affections ordered toward other people of the same gender and some people come into this world with affections directed at people of the other gender."

"I think life is meant to be challenging. If we're going to use the fullness of the gifts that we've been given, it means we have to continue to be stretched, and I look forward to that."


"I want to express thanks for the love and support of my husband, Dick Schori, he's already had to move once to follow in the surprising ministry to which his wife has been called. He may very well have to do it again."

"We are being pushed toward a decision by impatient forces within and outside this church who hunger for clarity. That hunger for clarity at all costs is an anxious response to discomfort in the face of change which characterizes all of life. The impatience we're now experiencing is an idol — a false hope that is unwilling to wait on God for clarity."


"I like the word 'shalom.'I use it in my correspondence, I use it in my sermons, and that's how I sign my e-mails - 'shalom.' To me it is a concrete reminder of what it is we're all supposed to be about.....It means far more than peace. I think it's a vision of the human community. Those great visions of Isaiah - every person fed, no more strife, the ill are healed, prisoners are released."

"Episcopalians tend to be better-educated and tend to reproduce at lower rates than some other denominations. Roman Catholics and Mormons both have theological reasons for producing lots of children.....We encourage people to pay attention to the stewardship of the earth and not use more than their portion."


"I firmly believe that evolution ought to be taught in the schools as the best witness of what modern science has taught us. To try to read the Bible literalistically about such issues disinvites us from using the best of recent scholarship."

"We who practice the Christian tradition understand him as our vehicle to the divine. But for us to assume that God could not act in other ways is, I think, to put God in an awfully small box."

No comments:

Post a Comment