The Unofficial Katharine Jefferts Schori Fan Page

Shalom! This is a blog that celebrates the first woman Presiding Bishop to serve in the Episcopal Church. Here you will find news stories, photos, links, references, quotes, video and stories from people who have met her. This is not an official site and not affliated with the Episcopal Church or the presiding bishop. This page also has feed from the Church's official news site.



Episcopal News Service

Friday, December 4, 2009

A New Episcopalian Looks Back

Episcopal Life published my commentary. In it, I mention meeting KJS:

Almost two months after I was baptized, the Episcopal Church elected its first female presiding bishop. Since part of the appeal of the church for me was its inclusion of women in the priesthood and episcopate, I was absolutely thrilled at this news. Unbeknownst to me at that time, I would get to meet this presiding bishop almost three years later and tell her in person how joining this church was the best decision I ever made.

The full text is here:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81840_117301_ENG_HTM.htm

People wrote in reactions to my piece. One of the reactions was this:

Re: New Episcopalian looks back
From Carole Hannon • Anthem, Arizona, Nov 27, 2009: I haven't become an Episcopalian YET, but everything sure seems to fit with what I believe. I've had a very bumpy road trying to figure out where my ever-evolving understanding of me and where religious affiliation is taking me. Then I heard Katharine Jefferts Schori and have been totally enamored of her ever since. My reasoning went something like this; if the Episcopal Church is where she calls home, then I need to check it out too. I'll be attending my first service this Sunday. When I visited yesterday, I spoke to the church secretary. I asked about the Book of Common Prayer and she said I could take it home. I copied the Catechism and have questions and would love to talk more about things. Thank you.



Whether Bishop Katharine is aware of it or not, she is changing lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment